Saturday, December 6, 2008

Dialogue

The final thread reviewed in chapter 36 is Dialogue, defined by Griffin as "transparent conversation that often creates unanticipated relational outcomes due to parties' profound respect for disparate voices" (p. 482). I agree with Buber in the fact that he says dialogue happens in 'I-Thou' relationships, because dialogue is what happens between two people, and you can never predict what is going to be said.

"Dialogue is typically not a way to accomplish a task; what we get is an authentic relationship" (p. 483). To me, this quote best exemplifies what dialogue is capable of achieving. Because it is through dialogue that you get to know one another, understand each other, and build healthier relationships. I know that when I communicate with individuals in some sort of intimate relations, dialogue is really important in order progress and move forward.

1 comment:

CeeZee said...

I also appreciated Griffin's commentary on dialogue. I didn't pick up the point you brought to light until I read your post - that it is not a way to accomplish a task, we get an authentic relationship. I like that type of thinking and want to include more dialogue in my own life. Getting caught up in too many activities, like school and work, can detract from what life is really all about - meaningful relationships.