Saturday, November 15, 2008

Feminism Today?

I think that chapter 35 is interesting in the fact that it explores the 'muted' voice of women, the dominance and origin of masculine words and influences, and just the power that men hold in general. I find it funny, that as I'm reading, I realize how much negative connotation the word "feminist" has with it, for people who consider it out of the 'norm'. Also made evident by the definition of the word made by Rebecca West in the example of the feminist dictionary. West defined feminist as "not knowing precisely what feminism was, but only knowing that people called her one whenever she expressed sentiments that differentiated her from being a doormat." (p. 462). Another side note that caught my attention, was how Cheris Kramarae came to be (her name). Because this is something I've always thought of-- whether I would keep my last name or not when I get married. My last name would stop with me if I chose to take my husbands, as my father does not have any sons that will be able to carry on his name. I've heard many stories of debates about why women should take the last name of their husband, rather than the other way around... it's such an antiquated practice... or maybe become what is known as 'tradition' or proper ettiquette. But Kramarae definitely came up with a creative way to solve that.... by combining the two names. Granted, not everyone will have as easy a time creating combined names as Kramarae, but I have also noticed the surge of hyphenated last names these days as an alternative solution. But I wonder......... will men ever take the names of their wives?

No comments: